We put up the question box, and you asked! Keep reading to get your top scalp questions answered!
1. Question: Does Apple Cider Vinegar help your scalp?
Answer: Yes! ACV can actually prevent excess bacteria growth in your hair, which can cause many problems like dryness, itchiness, flakiness, etc.
TIP: mix a small amount of ACV in with your normal shampoo to help with any of these issues!
2. Question: Should I do a scalp scrub INSTEAD of a shampoo? Where does this fit in?
Answer: Scalp scrubs and shampoos are NOT the same thing (unless otherwise said on the bottle).
Start with a scalp scrub, then follow with a shampoo.
P.S. Not everyone needs a scalp scrub in their routine, they are mainly needed if you have flakiness.
3. Question: Does sweat build up between wash days?
Answer: Yes! It does build up on your scalp. However, it's not bad unless you are waiting weeks on end to do any type of shampoo to your hair.
4. Question: How do I know if my scalp is healthy?
Answer: You know your scalp is healthy if there is nothing wrong with it!
5. Question: Is it good to regularly use a scalp scrub? If so, recommendations?
Answer: We don't recommend using a scalp scrub more than once a week.
One of our favorites ever is the NatureLab Tokyo 2-in-1 Scalp Scrub + Clarifying Shampoo! If you have been a Curls Monthly subscriber for a few months, you know this multitasking product is worth the hype.
6. Question: How do I know if it is dandruff or a dry scalp?
Answer: If the flakes are small and white, that is a dry scalp.
If the flakes are larger and yellow, it’s dandruff!
7. Question: Since going curly, I've noticed flakes - how do I fix this?
Answer: Since people with curly hair typically use more products, this can cause buildup which can also look like those little white flakes.
To fix this, you are going to want to clarify!